Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Blueberry Tart with Lemon Curd - Final Installment

Here it is, in all its glory! I'm hoping someone will offer to take it off my hands before I devour the entire thing.

The final step was making the blueberry topping. It's a rather simple process:

1) Assemble the ingredients: 1/3 c of water, 2-1/2 c blueberries (washed and drained), 2 tsp cornstarch, 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice.

For the amount of glaze, I think I could easily have used 3 or even 3-1/2 cups of blueberries.



2) Combine sugar and cornstarch; add liquids. Bring to a boil, stirring almost constantly; boil for 30 seconds. Take off heat; dump in blueberries and toss to coat. (I used a gently swirling motion.)






3) Arrange gently on lemon curd tart. 2-1/2 cups of berries were enough to cover the tart completely, with a little extra.

I dropped this tart off at a friends' but she left me about 1/4...it's gone now! Evidently I need to work on my pastry skills because the crust was tough! Tasty, but tough. If any of you have tips for making pastry dough, please leave me a comment; I'd love to hear from you!

The taste of the blueberries together with the lemon curd was heavenly though!

3 comments:

  1. looks gorgeous! Great job on your photography so far - I'm loving your blog! Lemon is definitely the best flavour, with blueberries coming a close second. Saskatoons suck cos the disguise themselves as blueberries but they don't taste nearly as good so I'm always disappointed when it's not real blueberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, I find it easiest to make the pastry in the processor. And I love my recipe with half butter (for flavour) half shortening (more tender). Or just using lard works well too. Martha Stewart always says not to roll back and forth or it will make the crust tough. roll from the centre out and keep rotating...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My tips for pie dough -- handle gently, don't overwork it. Chill well before rolling out, and if possible chill again after rolling. If you are using unbleached flour, I recommend trying to find some pastry flour. I get best results with about 50 /50 unbleached all-purpose and unbleached pastry flour. You can handle the dough more without developing gluten if you use a softer flour.

    ReplyDelete