Sunday, October 4, 2009

Copying Tartelette

If you've never checked out Tartlette...do it, now! I'll wait for you...

Isn't Helen's work amazing?!?! She not only concocts the most delightful confections, she photographs said concocted confections so beautifully that even I think I can go and make what she made.

I decided to try her Vanilla, Salted Butter Caramel and Chocolate Mousse recipe. (Click on the link for her post, which contains the recipe.)

While my version was definitely edible, it left a lot to be desired in the looks department.

The things I learned:
  • put a heavy-bottomed pot on my Christmas wish list
  • be even MORE patient with custard
  • the chocolate could be hotter when I fold in the mousse...maybe that way it would be easier to fold in before it goes all chunky
  • I'm sooo glad I used my last lonely vanilla bean...the taste is completely different from using flavouring, even the the real stuff
The pictures below show, in order from left to right:
  • boiling sugar and water
  • caramel
  • melted chocolate
  • whisking egg yolks and sugar
  • cooking up the custard base
  • the finished mousse

And the finished product? Mine weren't nearly as impressive, but for a first try, I'm not too embarrassed to post it here:



No comments:

Post a Comment